Evergreen School District News
Dear Evergreen Community,
On Tuesday, October 20, the Evergreen School District began looking into questions regarding the disinfectant electrostatic mister product, H2ORANGE2 CONCENTRATE 117, which was being used by the custodial staff to disinfect all surfaces, including restrooms at the school sites and district offices. While H2ORANGE2 CONCENTRATE 117 is an EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) registered product and has the identical active ingredient that is expected by EPA to kill COVID-19, the H2ORANGE2 brand has not made the list of EPA approved products. Evergreen School District is committed to maximizing the safety of students, staff, and community and will only use products on the EPA approved list.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, the primary and most important mode of transmission for COVID-19 is through close contact from person-to-person. Based on data from lab studies on COVID-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
"The Evergreen School District is sharing this information with our community out of our diligence to transparency and because the District is continually taking steps to protect the health and safety of its staff, students and visitors," said Dr. Emy Flores, Superintendent of Evergreen School District. To maximize safety, the District has taken following steps:
- The District immediately discontinued the use of H2ORANGE2 CONCENTRATE 117 to disinfect;
- To ensure that we are following best practices and procedures, the District contacted a certified master custodial trainer, who is also a highly qualified maintenance and operations consultant and safety expert and specializes in advising and training school districts across our state on COVID-19 disinfectant products, processes and procedures, and all matters regarding maintenance and operations and safety;
- The District purchased a disinfectant product (ECOlab) that was recommended by this consultant for use with electrostatic misters and is confirmed to be on the EPA's "List N" as a verified and approved disinfectant that EPA expects to kill Coronavirus COVID-19. While waiting for ECOlab to arrive, two EPA approved products that are on "List N", Critical Care & TB Disinfectant were immediately delivered and put to immediate use to disinfect all school sites beginning Wednesday morning;
- District custodians are scheduled to be trained by the certified master custodial trainer and maintenance, operations and safety consultant on the proper use of the disinfectant. This training will include an overview of cleaning processes, mixing the disinfecting product, personal protective equipment to use while cleaning, and quality assurance guidelines and protocols; and
- The District will continue to review its processes and approval procedures related to the purchase and use of disinfectant products, and will continue to make necessary changes to processes to improve oversight.
Dr. Emy Flores